Is MyFitnessPal legit? Before finding out this it is necessary to know for what it is used… and what is MyFitnessPal and where did this originate from. Let’s see if MyFitnessPal is legit or not and if it is a scam or if people have misconceptions about it.
MyFitnessPal is a fitness website which has been functional since 2005 and seems to be offering unbeatable fitness plans and nutritional charts. The website can be used for multiple purposes as it offers a variety of services for its visitors and clients. They offer all the services like diet plans, health tracking, calorie intake tracking, and many more.
Table of Contents
Thus getting so many things and offers at one place raises a doubt in one’s mind that can it be true or is it a scam, to know the truth behind MyFitnessPal read the article further and you will discover the truth about it.
What is MyFitnessPal?
MyFitnessPal is a fitness and wellness application specially designed to assist the users in achieving their weight loss and health goals with the help of a planned manner. It offers ways to maintain fitness in the form of different tools for tracking food intake and also offers personalized meal and exercise plans which are personalized for an individual lifestyle.
The cost for MyFitnessPal is $19.99 per month or $79.99 for an annual subscription, and it includes a one-month free trial. It can be used for various health goals according to the individual’s needs regarding their fitness and helps achieve what one wants to achieve.
Is MyFitnessPal legit?
MyFitnessPal is legit. It is not a scam website but the usage worth of the application depends on the individual’s demands regarding their fitness. It can be a ban or a boon for the users. It all depends on how beneficial the users can turn it for themselves. MyFitnessPal offers several features which enhance weight loss by encouraging exercise amongst the people using it and also helps people connect with the people who are looking for similar goals.
In today’s world, where temptation, easy pleasures, stress, and convenience are common, they significantly impact our diet and health. Managing weight, whether it’s losing, gaining, or maintaining, requires careful attention and a bit of math to balance calories consumed versus burned.
MyFitnessPal stands out as one of the top apps for counting calories, though its Premium version comes at a higher cost and offers fewer free features than before. The app excels in tracking food intake and exercise, helping you calculate the remaining calories you can consume throughout the day to meet your goal. It’s important to note that MyFitnessPal is not a workout app or a weight-loss program but is primarily focused on calorie tracking and management.
For new users it also offers a free one-month trial plan in which the person can use it and make out if paying the sum of the amount will be worth it for them or not. Thus the MyFitnessPal is legit but the benefits of the application can only be made out by the individual by its proper usage.
See Also:- Is Klook Legit
Key Takeaways of MyFitnessPal
- MyFitnessPal is a fitness and wellness application that offers tracking tools for food, water, and exercise.
- The app includes personalized meal and exercise programs, along with a platform for community interaction.
- MyFitnessPal is not advised for individuals with a history or diagnosis of eating disorders.
- Users can explore the app with an extensive one-month free trial.
- A new “Sleep” feature has been recently introduced, designed to help users see how their diet and physical activity affect their sleep patterns.
How much does premium membership of MyFitnessPal cost?
MyFitnessPal offers a free version of the application with limited features for the users to take benefit of and make the usage and get benefitted by it. The free version offers features like tracking of food intake, calories, weight, activity and a few other features. It also offers the feature in which a person can simply scan the barcode with the phone’s camera and know about the nutritional detail of the food they have scanned the barcode of.
And the premium membership that offers all the features of the application costs $19.99 per month subscription and $79.99 is the cost of the annual subscription for the application.
Signing up for MyFitnessPal
- To begin with MyFitnessPal, first visit their website or find the app in your device’s app store and download it.
- Select the option ‘Sign Up For Free.’
- Complete the introductory survey to establish your personalized health objectives.
- Opt for either a monthly or yearly subscription plan.
- Initiate your health journey with a one-month complimentary trial.
- Tailor your workout and diet plans to your preferences.
- Record your first meal in the app’s food log.
How can you set your goals in MyFitnessPal?
- MyFitnessPal starts with a short survey to gather information about your current weight, health objectives, previous challenges, and lifestyle habits.
- After completing the questionnaire, you receive a personalized daily net calorie target and access to various tools for tracking weight, calorie intake, and macronutrients (fats, proteins, carbohydrates).
- The app features a customizable dashboard where you can display your daily calories, macros, or heart health metrics.
- MyFitnessPal offers integration with smartwatches, Fitbit, and other health-tracking apps for centralized data management.
- The dashboard provides comprehensive metrics, including weigh-ins, caloric intake, daily steps, and calories burned.
- Key sections on the dashboard are the “Food Log,” “Newsfeed,” and “Plans.”
- The “Food Log” simplifies meal tracking with a comprehensive food database and a barcode scanner for packaged foods.
- In the “Newsfeed,” you’ll find health blogs covering topics such as the impact of food on sleep, managing overeating, and low-calorie holiday drinks.
- The “Plans” section offers a variety of meal and exercise plans, including those focused on increasing vegetable intake, strengthening immunity, and a range of physical activities from yoga to HIIT.
- Additional features under the ‘More’ tab include healthy recipes, sleep support resources, options to connect with friends, and community forums.
How is the paid and free version of MyFitnessPal different?
Users of the free version of the app can track their calorie intake and expenditure by logging meals and workouts. They also have the ability to connect with friends and integrate their favorite fitness apps, like Garmin or Fitbit, to monitor their activities. Additionally, free users can engage with others through the app’s social networking feature.
Opting for the Premium subscription offers several advantages. It includes a barcode scanner for easy logging of pre-packaged foods and a dashboard that can be customized to individual preferences. Premium users also get detailed nutritional information for all the foods they log. This tier enables the customization of macronutrient goals, catering to specific dietary needs like a protein-focused or low-carb diet. Furthermore, Premium subscribers have access to a variety of guided nutrition and fitness plans. Another benefit of the Premium subscription is the removal of ads, providing a more streamlined app experience.
Benefits of the Premium subscription of MyFitnessPal
There are many benefits of taking a premium subscription of any application similar to the case with MyFitnessPal. The benefits that are included in the premium membership are:
- MyFitnessPal Premium removes ads and includes detailed nutritional information, such as macronutrient tracking, along with the useful barcode scanner.
- The Premium version is necessary for those looking to incorporate intermittent fasting schedules using the app.
- It offers enhanced customization options. For instance, you can maintain a consistent calorie goal regardless of your activity level.
- Users can set varying goals for different days of the week and tailor calorie targets for each meal.
- The app can display breakdowns of carbs, proteins, and fats for individual meals.
- Premium users have the ability to export their data into CSV files for in-depth analysis.
- Additional exclusive features include short motivational videos and workout examples, though these may not be particularly robust.
Is MyFitnessPal good for weight loss?
MyFitnessPal’s effectiveness varies on how well you utilize it. Adhering to a daily caloric budget and diligently tracking calories can be a successful strategy for weight loss. However, for MyFitnessPal to work effectively, consistent meal logging and disciplined tracking are essential. It’s easy to overlook small details like adding butter to toast or misjudging portion sizes, such as with peanut butter, and these small missteps can accumulate over time. Conversely, it’s crucial to approach weight loss healthily, as misusing the app can lead to unhealthy habits.
Upon signing up, MyFitnessPal asks you to enter your current and target weights. The app then sets a healthy pace for weight loss or gain, providing clear guidelines to follow. It’s vital to establish a realistic and healthy weight goal right from the beginning. The dashboard includes progress reports to help you monitor your journey and stay motivated. Additionally, the app offers convenient reminders to log your food intake and exercise, aiding in maintaining consistency and discipline in your health regimen.
MyFitnessPal is a Green Flag for
MyFitnessPal is an ideal tool for individuals aiming to revamp their exercise and dietary habits or those seeking a community for support and companionship on their health and fitness journey.
Transforming Eating & Exercise Habits
- MyFitnessPal offers a comprehensive health experience, featuring new recipes, health articles, exercise routines, and extensive metrics for personal tracking.
- The app is fully customizable to align with your specific goals, and the one-month free trial provides full access to all tools and features, making it an excellent choice beyond just a weight-loss app.
Seeking a Supportive Community
- The app simplifies connecting with others, making it easy to invite friends to participate in your health program.
- MyFitnessPal’s community message board covers a range of topics such as “Getting Started,” “Food & Nutrition,” and “Mindfulness & Overall Wellness,” facilitating engagement with others on similar health journeys.
- Users can send friend requests and follow peers with aligned health objectives, fostering a supportive online environment.
Pros and Cons of using MyFitnessPal
- Offers one-month free trial with maximum features to use.
- Provides meal plans and exercises which are easy to follow.
- Offers a wide range of health goals excluding the weight loss plan.
- Tracks and analyses the carbs, fats and macro proteins, and suggest what to eat and how to eat.
- A new feature has been added which tracks sleeping habits of the people.
- All the exercise schedules and meal plans are customisable according to the individual’s needs.
- The style and interphase of the app is quite out-dated.
- The free version of the app includes ads which can be distracting and limited tools which can be used.
- The constant reports of the calorie burns and weight loss notifications can be sometimes really triggering for the users.
Users views about MyFitnessPal
MyFitnessPal enjoys high ratings, with 4.7 stars from over 1.8 million reviewers on the Apple App Store and 4.5 stars from about 2.61 million on the Google Play Store. Users particularly appreciate the simplicity of logging food and tracking calories and macronutrients. A significant number of reviewers also value the feature that allows inviting friends and sharing progress. However, there’s notable dissatisfaction regarding the removal of the barcode scanning feature in the free version of the app.
Ease of Food Logging & Macronutrient Tracking
- Users frequently commend the app for its user-friendly interface for logging meals and keeping an eye on calorie and macro intake. Many find this feature instrumental in their weight loss and maintenance journey, offering detailed insights into their consumption of proteins, fats, and carbs.
Benefiting from Community Engagement
- A highlight among user experiences is the app’s community aspect, including message boards and the option to connect with friends. This feature fosters accountability and mutual support, which users find invaluable in adhering to new dietary and fitness regimens.
Disappointment with the Free Version’s Limitations
- A common point of criticism among users pertains to the recent changes in the free version, particularly the removal of the barcode scanning tool, which was favored for quick logging of packaged foods. Additionally, the increased frequency of advertisements in the free version is often cited as a drawback, as users find them intrusive and hindering their tracking activities.
User Experience and Reviews
Quora Reviews of MyFitnessPal
Aditya Singh Shakya’s Critique: Limited Focus on Fitness Types
- Aditya criticizes MyFitnessPal for solely focusing on weight loss without considering muscle building.
- He finds the app’s inability to differentiate between fat loss and muscle loss, and the lack of customization in food logging, particularly disappointing.
- Aditya also notes the app’s narrow definition of exercise, limited to cardiovascular activities, which ignores strength training.
Shashank Shekhar’s Comparison with Healthify
- Shashank shares his positive experience with Healthifyme, where he successfully lost 10 kg without feeling hungry.
- He highlights the app’s effectiveness in tracking macros and improving his health, particularly his triglyceride levels.
- Shashank also mentions that Healthifyme is an Indian app, suggesting a regional preference.
Arun Kumar Sreenivasan’s Mixed Review: MyFitnessPal as a Motivational Tool
- Arun finds MyFitnessPal helpful mainly as a motivational tool rather than a comprehensive weight loss solution.
- He points out the app’s extensive database of dishes but criticizes its focus on calorie count without considering the quality of calories.
- Arun suggests that while the app can raise awareness about eating habits, it might not lead to significant results without a healthy lifestyle and regular exercise.
Read Also:- Is Super.com Legit
TrustPilot Reviews of MyFitnessPal
GDPR Compliance Issue
- Reviewer reports MyFitnessPal’s non-compliance with GDPR regulations, specifically mentioning the continued receipt of targeted marketing emails despite requesting data deletion.
Simplicity Lost in Free App
- User named Loki55N expresses disappointment with the free app version, stating it’s plagued by ads and no longer user-friendly.
Success Story with Weight Loss
- Eve White rates the app highly for helping her lose significant weight and manage her type 2 diabetes, praising the food logging feature, especially the barcode scanner.
Billing Issue After Subscription Cancellation
- Maitham Aladhum complains about being charged twice even after canceling the subscription, demanding an immediate refund.
False Advertising of Free Trial
- Jordan Townsend criticizes the app for misleadingly advertising a free trial but charging immediately, calling the app a scam and criticizing the lack of customer support.
Suggestion for Improved Diary Feature
- Gail Thompson suggests that the diary report feature would be more beneficial as a weekly summary rather than daily, to account for calorie banking for special occasions.
Technical Issues and Poor Customer Service
- Shona Childs shares her frustration with technical glitches and unresponsive customer service, leading her to cancel the subscription during the free trial period.
High Praise for Improved App
- Lyn Roser lauds the app as one of the best for weight loss, praising its ease of use, barcode scanner, and inclusive features like intermittent fasting.
Frustration with Unreliable Tracking
- Susan vents about the app’s unreliable workout logging, causing difficulty in macro calculation due to repeated entries.
Billing Dispute and Lack of Response
- Gail M voices her disappointment with being unknowingly charged a large sum and not receiving any response from the app’s team despite her circumstances as a pensioner.
Mixed Review for Free vs. Paid Versions
- Ren appreciates the free version for its basic functionality but advises against the paid subscription, calling it unnecessary and overpriced.
Complaint about Premium Subscription and Customer Service
- Fatma Mahmoud labels the company as deceitful for discontinuing her premium services without notice and refusing to address her complaints.
Data Breach and Poor Service Quality
- A user named Sunset raises concerns about a data breach involving MyFitnessPal, criticizing the lack of notification and overall poor service quality.
Disappointment with Feature Paywall
- John shares his discontent with recent changes, especially the barcode scanner feature becoming paid, and criticizes the company for prioritizing profit over user experience.
Frustration Over Barcode Scanner Paywall
- Joe Lakin expresses annoyance with the app’s decision to make the barcode scanner a paid feature, questioning the value of having a free account and critiquing the company’s overall service.
AppStore Reviews of MyFitnessPal
She’sVan’s Positive Experience as a Beginner
- She’sVan praises MyFitnessPal as a lifesaver for beginners, especially in understanding nutrition and finding food substitutions.
- The app’s features, like scanning labels and tracking macros, have been instrumental in her weight loss journey, even with past health challenges.
- She appreciates the ability to eat desired foods by finding healthier options and managing portion sizes with a food scale.
Mlazarx’s Weight Loss Success
- Mlazarx credits the app for significant weight loss, highlighting its extensive food database.
- While initially using the free version, the user upgraded to premium for the export feature, useful for creating detailed graphs and analyses.
- Mlazarx emphasizes that the premium version is not necessary for weight loss but can be beneficial for those interested in in-depth nutrient analysis.
Georg-o’s Feedback: Great App with Room for Improvement
- Georg-o enjoys using the app for calorie counting and exercise integration but suggests improvements in serving size selection.
- The user notes difficulties in editing serving sizes, recommending more flexibility and consistency in measurement options.
- Despite this, Georg-o highly recommends the app, with the serving size issue being the only significant concern.
Play Store Reviews of MyFitnessPal
Samuel Jerome’s Experience with Recent Update
- Samuel Jerome has been using MyFitnessPal for a year and found it integral to his fitness journey.
- However, he notes a significant decline in performance after a recent update, experiencing lags and slow response times, particularly when adding food or using the search function.
- Frustrated with these issues, he’s considering alternatives to MyFitnessPal.
Andrew B.’s Disappointment with Changes
- Andrew B. reminisces about using MyFitnessPal years ago, appreciating its extensive free features and the option to pay for extras at a reasonable cost.
- He expresses disappointment with the current version, where many features are now behind a paywall, and the app is cluttered with ads.
- Andrew finds the app’s speed and accuracy have diminished, making the $20 monthly subscription for premium features unappealing.
Christine Mair’s Positive Re-engagement
- Christine Mair initially used MyFitnessPal in 2016, losing 50lbs in 6 months and appreciating the ease of making smart meal choices.
- Reinstalling the app recently, she notices significant changes but still finds it effective, enjoying the recipes and noticing weight loss.
- Christine plans to continue using the app daily but does not see the value in paying for additional features.
Know More: Is Vio Legit
It is recommended that MyFitnessPal is legit if used with proper care and alertness otherwise it can be a waste of time as well as money. The user needs to be quite attentive while using it otherwise they might lose their interest in the journey to weight loss and switching to a healthier diet. If the user follows all the instructions according to the app then only they will be able to track results in their weight loss journey otherwise it will seem to be a waste of money.
MyFitnessPal has a website as well as an app available on the AppStore and Play Store for the users to keep in touch with the instructions and their progress for better motivations in the near future.
Thus it can be stated that MyFitnessPal is legit and can be utilised without doubt and it offers various diet plans, workout schedules and other features which can help the users in losing weight.
Is MyFitnessPal legit?
Yes, MyFitnessPal is legit if used with a goal which is preset and the user is following its plans with full dedication otherwise any fitness plan can be a waste of money.
When did MyFitnessPal start?
MyFitnessPal became functional in 2005 and has been accessible to users since then.
What services are offered by MyFitnessPal?
MyFitnessPal offers options for diet and exercise plans to lose weight and also tracks daily activities of the user to give them a proper schedule.
What are the common benefits of using MyFitnessPal?
Benefits of using MyFitnessPal are many, like, it offers calorie deficit plans, weight loss plans and also offers an option of intermittent fasting which has actually resulted on the positive side.
Are all the reviews about MyFitnessPal positive?
Each coin has two sides. Similarly there are advantages and disadvantages of MyFitnessPal. Thus the reviews are a mix of positive and negative on different websites.
Is MyFitnessPal a trustworthy and reliable option for weight loss?
Yes, it is a trustworthy and reliable option as it has been proven to be legitimate but always see the pros and cons as well as how much it is costing.
How much does the premium membership cost for MyFitnessPal ?
Premium membership that offers all the features of the application costs $19.99 per month and $79.99 is the cost of the annual subscription for the application.
Can MyFitnessPal actually help in weight loss?
Yes, many people have shared their weight loss journey with the app thus, it can be stated that it actually helps in losing weight.
Does MyFitnessPal prescribe medication?
No, MyFitnessPal does not prescribe any medication for weight loss.